Sunday 10 November 2013

We will remeber them

Today (I feel I am stating the obvious here) was Remembrance Sunday. When churches up and down the country remember past conflicts - especially the World Wars.

Even during the late eighties, where fewer and fewer people were taking part in remembrance - through attending services or wearing poppies - I always felt it was important to remember. I am a firm believer that when we forget our past and the mistakes which lead to conflict, we are likely to repeat those mistakes.

The line of remembering and commemorating is a fine one. There is the danger it will become triumphalist or self-congratulatory. Or, former enemies will continue to be vilified. Yet with so many people lost, in so many conflicts all over the world, we need to remember. But not just to remember, but to work for peace. Peace between neighbours, in communities and beyond.

That was broadly my theme this morning, as Quarry Kirk remembered today. We also remembered the regiments, made up of work-mates, school friends, neighbours, fighting the the trenches. Not necessarily fighting for country or for a higher ideal, but fighting for the guy to the left and the right of them. They were fighting for their mates and their mothers and wives and girlfriends back home. Wherever home might be.

It was a difficult service for me to lead. I have never fought in battle. I have not lost a parent or a husband or a child to war. I have no close relatives who have served in the military. The big conflicts of the last century seem so far away for me, yet for some in the congregation there is still a sense of loss and tangibility. I do sometimes wonder how people would look at someone who is too young to know and trust them to lead me in the act of remembrance. Today, that was not an issue.

It went well and came together. After, a few members of the congregation commented it was a lovely service. Another gave me a hug, as she sensed it was a tough service for me to do. She was right. This is one of those services where the right tone is necessary. I hope I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!