Sunday 26 May 2013

Probation search: part 3

Today didn't start well. I had planned going to Crossview Church for a neb, but their website had 3 different (and contradictory) times and locations for the service. Really, I shouldn't need a pilot licence to figure out when a service is. So, though I have been there before, I went to Airside Kirk, as I knew the service times (and double checked - they are clearly stated on the front page).

Well, I was impressed. There was a sense of community to the congregation and a real buzz about the place as the congregation gathered before worship. The minister herself has a lovely formal yet relaxed style, which came across in the whole service. There was even laughter - in a Kirk service, whatever next, I wonder?

The service had a definite theme running through it. Though the minister did point this out in the children's address, it would have been noticeable if she hadn't. As this has been the end of the General Assembly week, there was a talk from the church's elder (who was a delegate) about her experience and thoughts. It was great to hear a congregation be kept informed about what was going on in the national church, and not just from the minister's mouth!

The minister, too, did talk on the assembly, but more about how Airside is doing things, as part of a national church they might not be aware of - Crossreach, national and world mission, speaking out for society, foodbanks etc. She was passionate, humorous (without being flippant), informative and, for the congregation, pitched it right and was pastorally appropriate. And all with limited notes (I must admit being sightly in awe).

The hymns were a mix of old and new. Where they were unknown, the whole tune was played through before the congregation sang. For one hymn, it was sung unaccompanied, but the tune was still played through before we began and was a very well known tune.

Things I found a little odd. The bible was brought in during the opening hymn. Though it was seen by all, it seemed a bit odd to me doing this after the call to worship. This oddness was emphasised with the very formal removal of the bible at the end of the service, as we all stood following the benediction as it was taken out.

There wasn't many people involved in the service (and I know there is at least one reader worships at that congregation). Basically, it was the minister and the elder delegate (who also did the bible readings). I do wonder if more people could be involved in the service, or have my placements been unusual with the amount of input from those other than the minister?

Oh, and getting my priorities right here, there were no teas after the service. They are before. Now, I know of congregations where there are 2 morning services, so having teas in between allows those attending the services to met and have fellowship time. That's not the case here. I think that can (not saying will or does, just can) make it difficult for visitors.

So, overall, what did I think. I really enjoyed worship this morning. It was well put together, sincere, passionate, heartfelt (need I go on). The minister herself is professional, but not up her own bottom and a 'normal' (whatever that is) person, who happens to be a minister. I think I could work there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!