Monday 20 May 2013

Probation search: part 2

Yesterday began with a trip to visit a second of my probation possibilities - Causeway Church. From my research thus far, there hadn't been anything which significantly concerned me. So along I went with an open mind.

[As an aside, it's a odd thing 'shopping' for probation. Asking people who may know the place, minister (or even been on placement/probation there) for thoughts, and turning up for a visit. I do wonder how we're supposed to do this, and thing gut feeling comes into it a lot. It's also strange attending worship, but one part of me is not 'there' but really listening to what the minister says and what's going on.]

Unfortunately, my potential supervisor is at General Assembly. So, that was a shame as it's with them I'll be working. It did give me an opportunity to see what the congregation was like - could I feel happy working with them for 15 months? After all, it's them (and the parish) I will be serving during the time.

Well, I felt decidedly....[clutching for right words here]...ignored or unwelcomed. It wasn't in an overt way, but I just got the impression it's a congregation which struggles with new people turning up. And the was I turn up for worship wasn't the custom and practise there. To be fair, we did get a 'morning' at the door, with one of the children helping to give out the order of service (that was a nice touch, which I did like - wonder if it's the norm?). And the lady who joined us in the pew did say 'hello' and wished us a good week. So, perhaps standoffish would be a better way of expressing it.

The children were included in the service, and there was a reasonable number. The minister seemed a little uncomfortable talking to them, but not everyone has a gift that way. That said, he listened to the children and engaged with them when they asked questions. That, to me, shows there might be a culture of interaction with the children, which I like.

The service was traditional formal, which I can deal with. I'm not sure I liked the lack of announcing what was coming next in the service. The minister did announce that it could be followed on the order of service at the beginning, but I just felt that assumes literacy,* knowledge of what the order of service means and almost defers to the organist to know what's coming next.

After the service, there wasn't the usual teas and coffees, as the church was raising money for Christian Aid. At £3 a pop for a cuppa (and no one talking to us while we headed to the hall), we decided to seek liquid refreshments elsewhere.

Unlike last week, this isn't a cut and dry 'no way.' I'll see how the other visits go and take it from there.
And I did feel I had worshipped too.

*Given the location of Causeway Church, I suspect that is not seen as an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment, even if just to say "Hi".
I do moderate my comments, but don't let that put you off. Go on, you know you want to!